- This event has passed.
Creating & Teaching in Schoolyard Habitats: Part 1
October 5, 2019 @ 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM$40.00 – $70.00
A Workshop for School Staff and Community Members; Presented by the New Hampshire Partnership for Schoolyard Action Grants
Make the most of YOUR school grounds through—
- scientific inquiry,
- interdisciplinary learning,
- peer mentorship, and
- community engagement.
Cost: $40.00 for one day $70.00 for both
Schoolyard habitat investigations and projects address multiple environmental and educational concepts that benefit all involved, especially the students. You can transform your schoolyard spaces from blank stretches of lawn or beaten dirt to ecologically sound landscapes, alive with wildlife and native plants and rich with opportunities for authentic learning experiences.
We recommend teams of 3 or more attend the workshop together to develop a project. Teams get a 10% discount on registration fees. Team members can be teachers, school staff, parents and/or community members. Participants will be prepared to apply for a NH Schoolyard Action Grant after attending this workshop. Register for one or both days of this 2-part workshop.
October 5, 2019 from 9:00 am —3:30 pm
Bow Elementary School, Bow, NH
- See successful schoolyard habitat projects.
- Identify the steps to carry out a project
- Practice conducting a school site assessment.
- Learn how to assemble a map of your schoolyard.
- Generate ideas for enhancing your site.
November 2, 2019 from 9:00 am —3:30 pm
NH Audubon, McLane Center, Concord, NH
- Develop a plan for your own schoolyard.
- Learn how to engage students and the community in planning and design.
- Identify suitable native plants and other local resources.
- Learn about available funding and technical support.